All About the Conformable Tank
PPI’s revolutionary new conformable design solves some of the old storage problems for autogas.
Our flat tank fuel storage technology allows more fuel to be stored on the vehicle while reducing overall tank weight and increasing cargo storage area. This is especially true when a vehicle would otherwise be fitted with a double or triple ganged steel tank.
Autogas has historically been stored in heavy steel cylinders, which due to their round shape, do not package very efficiently, reduces fuel capacity and driving range and, due to their bulk, reduce storage/cargo space. The flat tank conforms more efficiently to the available space inside or under a vehicle resulting in up to 20% more fuel capacity and resulting additional driving range.
Conformable Flat Tanks can be installed:
- in or under a vehicle in the space where the gasoline or diesel tank would go
- in the trunk behind the rear seat where its rectangular shape is incredibly efficient resulting in a minimal loss of luggage space
- on the deck of a pick-
up and still be able to put a tool box on top
- beside or between the frame rails in a light/medium duty truck
- inside a delivery van where its flat surface allows you to put packages on top of the tank
- standing upright behind the cab of a Class 8 long haul truck.
An additional advantage of the Flat Tank is the reduced tank weight, which not only makes the vehicle more fuel efficient, but also reduces wear and tear on a vehicles suspension system and does not degrade overall handling characteristics.
The logistics, simplicity, and reliability of accommodating a single Flat Tank in lieu of multiple “ganged” cylinders are substantial. With the flat tank, you won’t need to worry about:
- the complexity of multiple-
- transport of fuel between individual tanks
- structural vulnerability of the interfaces between the added transport tubing and the tanks
- inefficient and inaccurate filling, dispensing, and level sensing.
Features & Benefits
The Flat Tank (Conformable Tank) is unique in its design and construction. It is made from aluminum, which has significant benefits over steel including the ability to form a far more efficiently shaped tank, reduced weight and the inability of the tank to rust. However, it is the design of the tanks that is the key – enabling greater capacity than a cylinder for any given diameter and length.
Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee
100% aluminum provides up to 50% advantage in weight over other similar capacity steel autogas tanks which means you get all the cost advantages of autogas with:
- Excellent vehicle efficiency
- Improved safety due to retention of original OEM handling characteristics
- No increase in tire wear
- Increased payload for delivery vehicles
A Conformable Tank is comprised of extruded, modular ‘cells’ – from 2 to 8 cells depending on the capacity needs of the customer and the available space in the vehicle. Tanks can be customized to the ideal length, maximizing capacity in the space available. This gives you:
- Up to 50% gain in volume for the same available space
- Extended vehicle range
- Fitment to small space restricted vehicles
- Minimal intrusion in trunk space for taxis
- Maximum capacity for couriers
- Room for Police radio systems
- Multi tank applications possible
- Adaptable for marine or one off designs
- No ganged cylinders
- Can fit into existing gasoline tank space
- Easy shape for mounting straps
Design & Safety
Global patented design
Each cell is locked together with a patented joiner. The end domes are pressed then machined ready for assembly. The extrusions slide together with the end domes and seams robotically welded.
Each tank is pressure tested and all batches are subjected to critical dimensional measurement and radiographic inspection before final packing and documentation.
All CT® tanks
- are designed and constructed to ASME Code –
Section VIII, Division 1, Design & Fabrication of Pressure Vessels
- are able to comply with European Regulation No. 67 –
Approval of Specific Equipment of Motor Vehicles Using Liquefied Petroleum Gases in Their Propulsion Systems
- are certified for sale under AS/NZ3509 & AS/NZ1425
- manufactured under ISO 16949:2002
- will have a CRN